Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"The" Cake!

Phew....what a holiday season! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. So many dishes and platers of yummy sweets. So, where are the photos? Well......only "the" cake made it into my camera.
Before going out on holiday I teased you with a picture of the topper now you can see the rest. As I mentioned in my previous post this cake was for my niece who graduated from the Police Academy. Hence the hat, duh! I wanted to contrast the seriousness and dedication that the hat implies with her girly side.
The hat is made of rice krispie treats covered with fondant and embellished with gum paste details.The texture on the fondant ribbon achieved with a small textured roller. I just love that detail. The white of the box was created with a mixture of pearl luster and vodka. The flowers, my first attempt, are made from gum paste. Oh yeah I need to practice more!
Although there are many imperfections which I am sure you can see, I learned more.
But, the bottom line is.........she loved it and I had fun!

2 comments:

HanaĆ¢ said...

What a beautiful cake, Lynette. How could your niece not love it? It's obvious from the level of detail that you put a lot of effort and time (and love) into it. Great job!! What kind of cake is "hiding" underneath? :o)

Alpha Baker Joan said...

wow! How impressive is that?! Congrats to her and to you!!!!!!