Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Opera Cake

It was over one year ago (yes, that long) that the Daring Bakers featured Opera Cake. I must admit it was delish looking and landed on my "must try" list. Sounds like a challenge? Yet, it took me this long to give it a try. However, I finally broke down and set my sights on a taste of said cake. The recipe I used was from "The Cake Book" by Tish Boyle. Opera Cake has quite a story behind it. It seems in the late 1800's a parisan pastry chef created this cake in honor of the grand opera and its great singers. The classic opera is a work in six acts. Thus, we have three layers of cake. A wonderful moist and light cake made primarily with almond flour and eggs (of course there is more). The layers are also brushed with a coffee syrup as they are assembled. Then there are three layers of delicious, smooth, creamy buttercream; in chocolate, coffee, and mocha. All topped with a smooth, glossy chocolate glaze. Traditionally, the word "Opera" is written across the top. And a piece of edible gold leaf is added for just the right bling. The cake is cut into rectangular slices for serving. Although a large piece would have been just fine with me, the small piece was really enough. The buttercream gave me a problem and I had to do it twice. Overall the recipe was easy to follow and the results were very pleasing. The testers were happy so I was happy! If you are interested in the recipe leave a comment and I will write it out. Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Delicious! I've never had Opera cake, but it kind of reminds me of Tiramisu! Super interesting cake! Will definitely give it a go! Thanks for sharing.