Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hazelnut Cream Tuiles

I'm always looking for something different to try out. Although I prefer a challenge I don't always have the time needed. So when I come across a recipe that is not too time consuming I set it aside for those times. Then there are the favorites that I must occassionally purchase at the grocery store because I haven't yet figured out how to replicate nor have I found a recipe for them. Well, happily now I have come across a recipe for cream filled tuilles that satisified all my criteria! IThis came to me via email from MarthaStewart.com.
These Hazelnut Cream Tuiles consist of a tasty vanilla tuile that I easily made on my under-used pizelle maker. The hazelnut cream is quick, creamy, delicious and easily made in a food processor. I included the recipe for this gem below to share with you. We brought a tray of these with us on Easter and they flew off the plate in spite of very full bellies! Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
For the Tuiles:
1/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c Powered Sugar
2 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
The seeds from 1 Vanilla Bean
1/2 c Flour
pinch Salt
For the Hazelnut Cream:
1/2 c Hazelnuts, toasted, skins rubbed off
10 tbs Butter, softened
3/4 c Powdered Sugar
2tbs Heavy Cream
pinch of Salt
Make the tuiles:
Put butter & sugar in the bowl of the mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium high until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in egg whites, extract, and vanilla seeds. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour and salt; mix just until combined.
I used my pizelle maker at this point to make the tuiles. Then wrapped them around a 1/2" dowel until cooled. If you don't have a pizelle maker continue on to use the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spoon 1 1/2 tsp catter onto a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat. Spread to about a 4" round. Bake until golden , about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; working quickly remove 1 cookie and wrap around a 1/2" dowell Hold until cooled. Continue with the other three. Repeat until all the batter is used.
Make the cream:
Process nuts in a food processor until they resemble coarse meal. Add butter, sugar, cream and salt; stir until smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a star or round tip the will fit into one end of the cookie. Fill both ends of the tuiles both. Repeat with remailing tuiles. Serve immediately. Thank you Martha Stewart for such a wonderful treat!

No comments: