Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Pound Cake

Pound Cake. I just love pound cake. I love the simple flavor of the vanilla and the butter. I love the tender texture and I love the small, yet moist crumb. I love to use it when I need sturdy tall layers and it never fails. I searched a long time, trying many different versions to find what I think is the best. Don't forget the versatility of pound cake. You can change the flavors easily and it's use is endless. I have used it in a 6 layer celebration cake, in a trifle, covered with whipped cream, fresh fruit or fruit curd. It can be taosted and spread with more butter too, if you dare! Today I bring it to you.

Humble Vanilla Pound Cake
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla or the scrapings from a vanilla bean
6 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter in a large bowl with paddle attachment on medium about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat additional 5 minutes, or until very light and fluffy. add the cream cheese and vanilla; beat one minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine Flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the butter mixture. Beat one minute. Pour into a greased 10 inch tube pan.
Bake 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; loosen from sides of pan and gently remove cake. Cool completely on wire rack.

Feel like sharing? How do you like your pound cake? Made with cream cheese, or sour cream or not. Spread with fruit, frosting, curd, or not?

No comments: