Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sweet Potatoe & Date Cake with Caramel Sauce

There is something about dates that I simply can't resist. Maybe its the intense sweet, or perhaps the sticky, smooth texture. I'm not sure but, anytime I see a recipe that calls for dates I am surely going to try it. I spotted this recipe on Bron Marshall's blog several months ago and set it aside for just that moment when I could whip it up. Then when fellow blogger and fellow Heavenly Cake Baker, Haana mentioned that she too had a love for dates, I just knew I had to share this find, so here we go Haana!
Ingredients:
1 cup sweet potatoes; cooked & pureed until smooth
1 cup dried dates; pitted & chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
75grams soft butter
1 tsp baking soda
1tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cardamon
Line a 9" square cake pan with parchment or use a greased & floured muffin pan. Preheat oven to 356 degrees.
In a bowl place the chopped dates, brown sugar, boiling water, and butter. Let stand for at least 15 minutes while the butter melts and the dates swell.
Stir the date mixture and add the baking soda. Stir to combine, the mixture should foam up. Add the sweet potatoe, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in the flour, cardamon, and baking powder.
Pour the batter into the baking vessel of choice and smooth the top. Bake for 35-50 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean.
Caramel Sauce (optional):
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cream
pinch of salt
In a clean dry saucepan place the sugar and heat over medium heat until it begins to melt. Gently swirl the pan to get even color. As soon as it is golden remove from the heat and carefully add the cream. Be cautious, it will bubble up and release alot of steam at the beginning. Stir carefully. Add the salt and let stand until it cools.
Pour it over the cake and allow to soak in. I found this to be wonderfully moist, flavorful, soft,and not overly sweet in spite of the carmel sauce. The dates are soft, sticky and oh so marvelous. Hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as I did!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!

HanaĆ¢ said...

My mouth's watering. I don't how I'm going to fit it in this weekend but I ***HAVE*** to make this. It looks wonderful. I bet it tastes fine even without the caramel sauce. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! I think you're going to like the recipe I'll be making next month for the Avid Baker's Challenge baking group I'm running. It's Medjool-Date Pecan Rugelach from Flo Braker's book, Baking for all Occasions. If you can get this book from the library, by all means, get it. Feel free to bake along with us that month.

HanaĆ¢ said...

If you like, I can email you the recipe to save you the trouble of going to the library for just one recipe. Although, I'm sure once you try a Flo Braker recipe, you'll be hooked (and hopefully you'll consider joining our monthly Avid Baker's Challenge baking group where we bake from Flo's book once a month) :o)
Just email me at HanaasKitchen [at] live [dot] com. You're welcome to bake with us without being obligated to join! :o)