Monday, June 14, 2010

Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake

This week with the Heavenly Bakers it was a Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake. A multiple component project, the cake not only has multiple types of chocolate (white being my personal favorite) but the filling contains my beloved fruit the strawberry! How could this be anything but delicious! The cake is a soft and moist white chocolate cake with a luscious light strawberry mousseline filling and a dark chocolate frosting. Oh my! This is just spot on for satisfying multiple levels of you inner most desires. Rose's directions have never disappointed me and is one of the many reasons this is one of my favorite books.
Multiple components allows me to prepare in steps as I attempt to do with any baking project I take on. It helps keep life in this house running smooth. I like smooth, oh yeah back to cake, sorry.
The cake batter as mentioned contains white chocolate (mmmmmm..), eggs, milk, vanilla, cake flour (this promises to have a fine crumb now), sugar leavenings and of course BUTTER! Yes, I found this batter came together with ease and baked up very nicely. Oh yeah, btw: I always lick the beaters since my little one is no longer little and I have no competition for it except when my mother in-law is visiting! As you can see I chose to make only a half batch, and you can see it still baked up very nicely. Good to know since you can't always cut a recipe in half successfully.
The instructions did not mention how thick the layers should be and this is where I took some liberty that later I would reget. I had already tasted the batter and was more than happy to test the cake tops that were cut off, so I knew this cake was superb. I then decided (bad move) to keep the layers at 1 inch. Please learn by my mistake and make them 1/2" to 3/4" max when you get to this point.
Next ups is the strawberry mousseline. I do not find that mousseline spreads well after refrigeration so I did not prepare it in advance. Again Rose's directions were easy to follow and fool proof. The ingredients are; butter, eggs, sugar, water, cream of tarter, strawberry butter (I used pureed strawberry preserves), and vanilla. The butter is beaten until smooth and set aside. A sugar syup is made and heated to 248 to 250 degrees. Meanwhile the egg whites are beaten to stiff peaks with cream of tarter and some of the sugar. Then the sugar syrup is slowly poured into the beaten egg white to make a meringue. This is put in the refrigerator to cool to 70 degrees. Now I have to mention this is the aspect of Rose's Heavenly Cakes recipe that I love the most. Temperature. Temperature of components can be the difference between success and failure. If the recipe mentions temperature, whether it be of the butter or chocolate or in this case the meringue then it must be and this time was important. So be careful don't skip ahead or try to rush! Back to the business at hand... The meringue is added to the butter in portions with caution and beaten until well blended (again not so much that it seperates). The strawberry butter or preserves is added and the filling is complete and set aside.
On to putting it all together: Rose tell us to sandwich each layer with the strawberry mousseline topped with some of thr strawberry butter/puree. However, I got a little carried away with the strawberry and with my layers so thick this caused some instability. This you will see in my final picture and do the "tisk, tisk" noises along with me.
The frosting was next up as the final step to this wonderful cake. I had some trouble here which was either my impatience or humidity. The ingredients were; two dark chocolates a 99% cacao and a 62% cacao. I had to substitute a semi-sweet chocolate. Also some butter, corn syrup and vanilla was on the list. It seemed pretty straight forward and came out smooth and shiney as promised. I poured the top while is was still fluid and waited the requiset 30 minutes for the sides. But as you can see I wound up warming the frosting again and pouring. A big mistake I know that now. However, it is what I did.
All that being said I must say this is one of the best tasting cakes I've tasted. It was light, fine and moist. The strawberry mousseline was flavorful, smooth and creamy. The chocolate frosting was definitely a contrast but balanced. Overall, very nice! I hope you give this a try and share your frosting escapades with me. Or maybe some suggestions for the next time I give it a go.

9 comments:

Vicki said...

I don't know...I think it looks quite cute high like that. It looks like one of those in the Mile High Cakes book. Your frosting looks nice and shiny.

Unknown said...

I love the cuteness level of having small... and you and I seem to have had the same issues with the frosting... bad, bad frosting (miss' behaving!").

Alpha Baker Joan said...

Looove your tall cake! It shows all the marvelous qualities you describe. I know it was delicious and marvelous.

The saim Family said...

I agree with everyone...i like the height of the cake!

faithy said...

Gorgeous cake..i love the high tall layers!!

Mendy said...

ב''ה

Looks delicious.

I am trying to figure out what kind of pan you baked this in.

Desserts Divine said...

Thank you all for visiting!

Mendy-
I used a 5" round 3" deep pan. All my pans are "Fat Daddio's" found on internet site "ultimatebaker.com"

Linda said...

Hi Lynette, You mention in your blog that waiting for 30 minutes and then rewarming and pouring the frosting on the sides was a "big mistake". Just curious, what problems did it cause? There aren't any visible issues that I can see with your cake -- it looks great! I'm making this cake in a couple of weeks and feeling a little nervous about the frosting, so thought I'd check. Thanks!!

Desserts Divine said...

Linda-
When I rewarmed my frosting and tried to pour it down the side it did not cling well and puddled at the bottom. It was not like the Lacquer Glaze. I would recommend following Raymond in that he gave the sides a nice coat of the mousseline then chilled the cake before attempting the frosting. Thanks for visiting and good luck with your cake!!