Friday, June 20, 2008

Biscotti

Anyone who knows me in the physcial world knows that I like "crunch" Anything the has bite or snap calls my name. This was the reason I started a quest for the perfect biscotti. On this journey, which went on for years and included a stint at the local market, I found what I believe to be the perfect biscotti along with endless variations. For a time there I was known as the "Biscotti Lady". So when I stumbled upon "Waiter There's Something In My..." who is hosting a dried fruit and nuts theme this month I knew I just had to make some biscotti's. Since today is the first day of spring and a good friend's birthday this was going to be easy. The recipe I began with all those years ago is listed below. I have since tweaked it for texture and firmness. I hope you will tweak it as well and make your perfect biscotti.
Blueberry Almond Biscotti
1/2 cup Butter
2/3 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup chopped Almonds
1/2 cup dried Blueberries
1 tsp Lemon zest
Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl: set aside. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs, vanilla, and zest. Add the dry ingredients, almonds, and blueberries mixing until just incorporated. Divide dough in half. Form two logs about 10-12 inches long; flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic and chill several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the logs 30 minutes or until slightly golden on a parchment lined sheet pan. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes. On a cutting board with a serrated knife slice diagonally on a 45 degree angle 1/2 inch thick. Place slices upright on sheet pan and bake again for 15 minutes (thus "biscotti"- twice baked). Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We would like to feature your biscotti on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/